|ABOUT US Download Our Registration Form|
THE ART SPOT is a bustling, unique art center combining instructional, retail, and gallery elements into a compelling gathering place for aspiring artists and hobbyists of all ages. The flagship location in northern New Jersey has grown in popularity since being founded in 2005 by Sue Stoll, a successful graphic illustrator and instructor, after outgrowing her home studio.
Years of professional experience has enabled Ms. Stoll to develop a proprietary instructional method, which offers patrons of any age or skill level an engaging artistic experience. The entire creative process has been templated using this methodology and then packaged to be sold in the retail area of her studio for those looking for at-home activities or great gift ideas. A student art gallery, offering originals and prints for sale, serves as added inspiration and incentive for many of her talented students. By offering skilled instruction, professional quality supplies, presentation and display materials and opportunities, THE ART SPOT method encourages rapid assimilation and retention of techniques resulting in the best possible artwork.
The Proprietary Template Instructional Method includes:
Visual models and demonstrations
• Thousands of picture references organized by subject in dozens of PICTURE PORTFOLIOS
• Devoted staff of professional artists and instructors
(3 teachers per 10 students) providing plenty of individual instruction and demonstrations
• Art book library, instructional posters, how-to videos, studio
still-lifes, and numerous other reference materials
Individual work stations
• Drafting tables, lights, and wood box of basic supplies provided for each student/patron
• Grid system for sketching (terrific aid in placement of
Eliminates frustration; teaches and enforces compositional skills
• Pre-sketched images available for those who want to COLOR only (sketch lines disappear as color is added). Perfect for youngest beginners, hobbyists with limited time or patience, those looking to create unique gifts for family, friends, or teachers (finished art can be framed or printed/placed into one of our artwork display products), or simply for those who want to relax and enjoy an easy, fun art activity.
Specific transfer techniques provide quality control
• Finished sketches are printed onto appropriate paper or canvas (Xerox printer on premises), then mounted onto lightweight boards. This ensures the best possible results when adding color (no damage to surfaces by erasures, denting, tearing, graphite bleeding, etc).
• Coordinated media and supplies:
Media choices: Colored pencils, pastels (powder, stick, or pencil), brush art markers (used on specially formulated canvas for painterly effects & ease of use), watercolors (paints or pencils), acrylics & oil paints. All above media has been tested and chosen for ease of application and use on media-specific superior quality board surfaces including: acid-free pure cotton paper, cold-press watercolor paper, & artistís canvas.
Supplies: All supplies needed are organized by media on our extensive SUPPLIES DISPLAY UNIT, readily available for use. Numbered, hand-made color charts make finding desired colors extremely easy and efficient since all are organized and stored by number. Every imaginable drawing or painting tool or accessory is available for use by students/patrons.
Instant display for finished artwork
• All completed artworks are covered with a clear protective overlay.
• Easel backs with hang tabs are attached to back for table
or wall display.
Affordable classic wood frames may be purchased from our retail area, if desired. Additionally, original artworks may be printed on our premises and placed in a variety of artwork display products.
• High quality service and supplies
• A nurturing creative learning environment in a professionally equipped art studio
• Easy availability of retail art supplies and kits for at-home use
or as gifts
• Immediate gratification and pride of seeing oneís finished artwork displayed, framed, and/or replicated onto usable products
has generated a repeat & growing clientele from many surrounding towns!
Sue Stoll bio
Sue Stoll was a painting major (BFA program) at Cornell University, and graduated with an MA in Medical Illustration from the University of Illinois, Chicago, in 1978. She was a full time illustrator on staff at Cornell Medical College/New York Hospital for 10 years, with a simultaneous freelance practice as a commercial illustrator for major teaching hospitals, publishing and pharmaceutical companies, law firms, and television stations in New York City. While raising a family, she continued freelancing, received numerous portrait commissions, and began giving private art lessons to children. In 2003, she converted her garage into an art studio to accommodate the many students wanting lessons, but soon realized the space would never be adequate. And so ART WITH CLASS was born when she found a charming little storefront in Midland Park, NJ, and began building the studio of her dreams.
Five years and thousands of students later, Sue moved her studio to the heart of Ridgewood, NJ and re-named it THE ART SPOT, where she continues to share her passion for art with all who enter her door.
Read our story that appeared in The Record
Read about our Honorable Mention in The Record's favorite art schools in Bergen County
Read our story that appeared in The Suburban News